Applications for the 2021-22 school year will be available Dec. 5, 2020. The deadline to submit SVGS applications for 2021-22 is February 20, 2021.
Links to on-line applications are shown below. To open an application, click on the on-line application links below for the program to which you are applying.
The student application packet includes several components shown below:
¨ Student Application Form
¨ Student Interest and Activities
¨ SVGS assessment scores, GPA, Strength of Transcript
¨ Two Teacher Recommendations (1 English teacher and 1 Arts/Humanties* teacher)
¨ One Counselor Recommendation
¨ School Recommendation
* Teachers of art, music, drama, foreign language, social science or community arts instructors may complete the Arts/Humanities teacher recommendation.
**All Arts & Humanities applicants would take the new assessment. The assessment would include – 1 reading section 20 minutes, 10 questions and 1 essay– 60 minutes, 1 question. This would be timed and available on-line for students as needed. An essay “practice” prompt and scoring rubric would be presented to students prior to the essay. The assessment would be given at the student’s home school in February and would be available on-line for students as necessary.
*** Portfolio/auditions will be required of newly accepted students (after the admissions process) to enroll in Studio Art or Acting classes. Students interested in these areas should highlight their experience and interests specific to the arts in the student part of the application.
Applications for students are forwarded to a designated Central Office person for each school division. Applications are reviewed by the school division. A selection committee from each school division recommends students for placement, for a waiting-list, or non-placement. The selection committee considers multiple criteria as shown below.
The application will ask you to provide demographic information, overview of your extracurricular activities and contact information for your teachers from whom you are requesting recommendations, your counselor and principal. All portions of the application will be submitted online. A complete application consists of various components some of which have will be completed by your parents, teachers, counselor and principal.
- All applications must be submitted on-line.
- Please work with your counselor if technology access is an issue.
- Since notifications and requests for recommendations are sent electronically, it is essential to provide correct email and contact information. If you have questions or concerns regarding email information, please consult with your counselor.
- You may begin an application and return to finish. A link to access the application will be sent the student email address listed on the application. You must list an email for student email to save the application.
- You may print a copy of your application for your records.
Once we receive the student-submitted portions of your application, the steps of the application process are as follows:
- The student submits application.
- The student receives confirmation notice their application was received.
- Parents are notified of their student’s application and are requested to submit their approval electronically. A link to the student’s application will be sent to parent’s email provided.
- Teachers (chosen by students to submit recommendations) and the student’s counselor will receive forms via email. They will submit their recommendations electronically
- The student’s principal will receive notice of the student’s completed application and will verify the student is in good standing by submitting their electronic signature.
- The completed application is forwarded to school division personnel for consideration.
- ADMISSIONS DECISIONS AND ACCEPTANCE LETTERS for 2020-21 WILL BE MAILED EARLY APRIL 2020.
Questions? Please contact Dr. Whitesell, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-245-5088.
NOTE: You may apply to both the Arts & Humanities program and Sciences program. You would need to complete a separate application for each. BE AWARE, if you are accepted to both, you will be offered admissions to the program in which you ranked the highest at the discretion of the school division.