The Shenandoah Valley Governor’s School is a regional school serving 235 juniors and seniors from seven public high schools in Augusta County, Staunton, and Waynesboro. Students attend this shared day, intensive, and selective program in the sciences or in the arts and humanities.
Applications and resumes are now being accepted for the following anticipated counseling opening for the 2021-22 school year.
School Counselor/ Student Experience Coordinator
Qualifying Credentials and/or Education Requirements
- Master’s Degree in School Counseling or areas related to student development preferred.
- Interest in facilitating individual student development in academic, career and personal areas and facilitating student experiences in professional settings
- Growth mind-set with interest in life-long learning, professional development, and collaboration.
- 5+ years in school district experience preferred
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Creates an atmosphere of mutual respect and caring a positive climate for learning and personal growth.
- Uses appropriate counseling strategies to advance student learning and self-awareness.
- Works with staff and administration to plan and deliver programs for orientations, transitional support, progress monitoring, academic interventions, and crisis interventions as appropriate.
- Assists students in exploring interests and understanding their talents and areas for growth.
- Coordinates off-site professional experiences such as mentorships, work-based learning, field experiences, research and/or service learning.
- Facilitates best practices for social emotional learning and consults with other members of the staﬀ in planning instructional goals, objectives, and methods and other program planning.
- Establishes and maintains community partnerships and cooperative professional relations with others.
- Assists as a liason between students, families, staff, area schools and community members.
- Provides consultation to students and parents regarding academic, career and college planning as needed.
- Assists administrators with master scheduling, student course registration, course changes, career assessments and testing as needed.
- Maintains appropriate confidentiality.
Teacher – 210 days per year, 8 hours per day
Persons interested should send a cover letter and resume should be sent no later than June 25, 2021 to:
Lee Ann Whitesell, Program Director
Shenandoah Valley Governor’s School
49 Hornet Road
Fishersville, Va., 22939
THE AUGUSTA COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOL DIVISION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER