I hope everyone has had some time to catch their breath and process a little of the unusual situation we find ourselves with school closure and the current pandemic. Please be aware of the following expectations for SVGS students and families for the remainder of March:
- Follow guidelines from CDC and Virginia Department of Health regarding COVID-19 and flu. Check for updates regularly.
- SVGS is closed from 3/16 to 3/27.
- Treat this week ( beginning 3/16) as a regular school week except you will not attend school. Teachers will communicate through CANVAS expectations for in terms of work for their class for the week of 3/16 no later than Monday noon. If you have questions about a class or specific course assignments, please contact them via email. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO MAINTAIN WORK AND COMPLETE ASSIGNMENTS THIS WEEK electronically in all your classes.
- Treat next week as Spring Break (3/23) Do not come to school. You will not be “required” to do work or assignments for that week. HOWEVER, I encourage you to consider future assignments/ notes/ readings that are available to work ahead or catch up on past assignments. It is unclear as to which events will be canceled completely and what will be rescheduled. Rescheduling of missed events will create a highly compressed and busy schedule for you between now and the end of the year. Take the opportunity now to manage your time in consideration of that scenario.
- Please make time to work on long-term projects ( i.e. capstone, research, engineering, statistics, GIS). You now have the opportunity to spend long chunks of encumbered time to put good effort into project work.
- If you need technology resources, have difficulty accessing things electronically, or other needs, please let me know your teachers know so we may assist you in some way.
- For students taking Virtual Virginia coursework or other on-line classes, please be sure to check their requirements as due dates will likely not change.
- The exam schedule will be sent at the beginning of next week. Currently, practice AP exams (final exam grade in AP courses) will begin on April 21 and senior exams will begin on April 27.
- Please take time to look at your calendar as they are scheduled now for SVGS. At this time, AP exam dates and end of courses for college dual enrollment have not changed.
- If you or someone you know needs food, please click each location , Augusta County. Staunton, and Waynesboro, for resources in that area. I believe all the school divisions are planning to provide food as well and will be communicating those plans next week.
Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.
I hope each of you will stay safe and healthy in the coming weeks.
Lee Ann Whitesell, Ed. D.
Shenandoah Valley Governor’s School
49 Hornet Rd.
Fishersville, VA 22939