As temperatures begin to dip, please be reminded of the SVGS inclement weather policy.
SVGS follows the Augusta County School Board’s (ACSB) calendar. Changes may have to be made to the calendar because of days missed due to inclement weather. Changes are official only after actions by the ACSB. Students are expected to attend on days when SVGS is in session regardless of their high school’s calendar.
For exceptions to the normal hours of operation occurs during inclement weather:
- Parents and students should listen/watch for announcements regarding Augusta County Schools.
- Any changes in the normal SVGS schedule are posted on our website and facebook.
- Parents will also receive automated calls to their landline or cell phone.
- Students who requested notification will receive text messages.
*Students and parents may customize their information for receiving calls in their Infinite Campus portal by changing their settings in “Contact Preferences”. In Contact Preferences, “emergency” notifications are used for weather related notifications.
If Augusta County Schools are closed, SVGS is also closed until the following school day. Please listen to local radio stations or watch the Harrisonburg or Charlottesville TV stations for this information. These stations are usually notified by 6:00 AM of any modifications in the school schedule.
Even if SVGS is open, if a student’s parent or guardian does not want his/her child to drive, the parent may call the SVGS office to request an excused absence because of hazardous road conditions.
- If Augusta County Schools are closed, SVGS is closed for the day. Staff does not report.
- If Augusta County is on a one-hour delay, students report no later than 8:35 to SVGS. Staff should report at 8:00 a.m.
See schedule for a 1hr delay below.
1st 8:40– 9:13
2nd 9:15 – 9:47
3rd 9:49– 10:21
4th 10:23 – 10:55*
- If Augusta County schools are on a two-hour delay students report no later than 9:25 to SVGS. Staff should report no later than 8:45. Tech buses will be available for 2 hour delays this year.
See schedule for a 2hr delay below.
1st 9:30 – 10:03
2nd 10:05 – 10:37
3rd 10:39– 11:11
4th 11:13 – 11:45*
*In the rare event that Augusta County Schools are operating on a one or two-hour delay but Staunton and/or Waynesboro are not, Staunton and Waynesboro students will coordinate their release time at SVGS based on their individual high school’s class schedule as needed.
With either delayed schedule, the school is open during school hours and students may come in to use the computers and other facilities if road conditions improve and parents allow them to drive.
In the event that a storm moves into the area during the day, students will be dismissed at the discretion of the Director of Transportation for Augusta County Schools or their parents. Students will be encouraged to contact a parent for guidance on whether or not to drive to the high school or home. Evening activities will be cancelled if Augusta County Schools cancels after-school activities.